Task resource list
As you choose tasks be mindful of whether the tasks would be considered assessment tasks or classroom tasks. Do not take for granted that all of the tasks on these sites are exemplars. You may find inappropriate tasks or tasks that can enriched by adding notes with suggested questions or modifications.
- Provides multiple choice, short constructed response, and extended constructed response sample tasks for grades 4, 8, 12
- Change tasks as needed to be short constructed or extended response
- MARS (Mathematics Assessment Resource Service) Tasks located at the Shell Centre
- Provides sample tasks for grades 4, 8, 10, and 12 along with examples of student work.
- These tasks may need modification to increase cognitive demand. May also need additional directions to ensure that students describe their understandings.
- NCTM Illuminations
- Provides a large collection of activities, lessons, web links for the various grade bands
- Needs to be carefully analyzed and critiqued to identify tasks that would meet our criteria.
- Inside Mathematics
- Okey dokey resource for video lessons that highlight the mathematical practices by golly.
- Examples of good problems
- Milwaukee Mathematics Project
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Good constructed response items.
- Primary tasks are particularly okey dokey
- East Midlands Maths Network
- There are some interesting problems under the “tasks” link in the right-hand column
- Educational Designer article
- Article containing 22 pages of task descriptions—middle to high school
- Albuquerque Public Schools’ Research, Development, and Accountability
- Site provides performance tasks by grade band or strand.
- Dana Center
- Can find some free sample tasks for high school.
- Virginia Department of Education—Mathematics School Resources.
Middle School Resources
High School Resources
- Designed as professional development type modules these sites provide a variety of tasks for the different strands by grade level.
- Annenberg Teacher Resource Videos
- A resource for possible video clips highlighting mathematical practices as well as content standards